Friday 10 January 2014

Cardigan attempt

Often I'm too eager to start a project so I forget to plan. Inspired by the On the edge of the cloud - pattern by Muita Ihania I started to knit a cardigan for Likka. I actually did do a test knit first and calculated how many sticthes I would need for the waist, but I think I either miscalculated or something else got wrong because the waist got too wide.

I knitted from the waist up. Once I hit the arms I started to look for instructions on how to make the arms. I did not find anything in the exact same size and yarn weight, but what I did find was a cardigan knitted from the top down. I had not realized I could have knitted it like that too and that seemed so much easier and better compared to the waist up style and I got bit deflated by my already started cardigan. 

So I did not find any good instructions and just started to knit from the top of my head. I knitted both arms and attached those to the body part. Then I knitted the straps (?) for the buttons, I assumed every ten rows could have button.


And then it was done. The waist is too wide, the arms compared to the waist are too narrow, there are too many buttons and the neck is too big. Also I was supposed to do the whole neck area with the blue but I run out of yarn and had to continue with the other colours.

I was not happy with this one and desided to make a better one. So... yes, I made another... that one on the next post.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you did so much of that without a pattern...I have to look at the instructions for every single stitch. :) I can see how the sleeves are narrow compared to the waist, but it's still adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have knitted from the age of six, so I do have plenty of experience. I can usually figure out how to knit something just by looking at a picture of a garment or item. But I should pay more attention to the planning and calculate the stiches better.

      Delete
  2. Wow. I was just thinking I should find someone to teach me how to knit. This is so cute. Looking forward to seeing the project which actually did work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find someone, also the basics is not very difficult to study on your own, but I know with a teacher it's much more fun and way faster.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...