Wednesday 14 August 2013

For our neighbour

We live in a rowhouse and because of that I have two nextdoor neighbours. The other one who helped me with the front yard lives on the left next to us. Between our back yards are thuja trees and a flower bed on our side. The neighbour on our right has a back yard behind the corner of our house. And on that corner I have two compost frames. I wonder if they have enjoyed that view. I did ask them if I can place the composts there and they say they did not mind them, but I somehow doubt it.

After two years the other compost frame was all lopsided and ugly even to my eyes. So in the name of good neighbour relationship I straightened the compost frame and created a flower bed next to the frame to cover the view for them. I was a super lazy blogger and did not take any before pictures, but I'm sure you have good imagination. Here is a picture of the frames back in 2011.


The wicker compost frame was a bit flimsy so I added a wooden pole on one of the corners of the frame and supported the two sides to that. Then I dug off dirt from the side of the compost and took out all roots and weeds.


I added an egde from paving stones on the neighbours side of the flower bed and just a piece of timber on our side. Then I first planted some hosta there, which I divided from a big bush of hosta elsewhere in our backyard. I bought a hydrangea bush which I planted in the middle and windflower next to the maple tree.



If I was my neighbour I would enjoy my new view on plants instead of a compost bin. Some grass seeds could be planted in front of the flower bed. It's still bare from the pipe renovation we had earlier.

8 comments:

  1. Your such a good neighbor for thinking about your neighbors view. They will surely appreciate the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, they are not very talkative, so it's sometimes hard to know what they think.

      Delete
  2. Flowers make everything more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Nina. They are going to love it, especially when the hydrangeas bloom, those are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has white flowers, I love hydrangeas too, they bloom for so long

      Delete
    2. Be sure to post pictures when it blooms! When I was a child, I called the white ones "Snowball bushes."

      Apparently they are fairly easy to propogate too...http://chasinghailey.blogspot.com/2012/07/hydrangeas-for-free.html

      Delete
    3. Nice! the hydrangea in your link is not winter hardy in Finland (I assosiate that one with England :D ), but the propagation should work with any hydrangea I guess.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...