Monday 18 March 2013

Two colour knitting practice

When I was knitting my Icelandic gardigan I searched for instructions on how to do a colour knit. I did start the colour knit on the gardigan without any instructions but when I noticed that I'm so slow with it I tried to learn how to do it the right way. Most instructions I found from Youtube were done in the principle of running the yarn from both right and left index finger. I don't seem to be able to keep the yarn on my right index finger. It just did not work out. So I continued my Icelandic gardigan in my own slow style. Later I found from the Youtube this super cool video about knitting the colours individually. Check the video if you have any interest in colour knitting. It's a very long one, but very thorough.



I love the principle shown in the video but I cannot seem to get it work nicely. It's a fast style but none of my test knits have turned very nice looking. The yarn that runs on the back keeps pushing itself to the right side (see the orange on the blue pattern). I've tried to keep the running yarn tight so it would not show through, but still it's not working. So annoying. I would so like to learn this, because I don't have the perseverance to learn the right way.

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the saying: never enough time to do it correctly (learn properly) the first time but always enough time to make corrections afterwards (learn lots of different ways to do it a little wrong) :D Hope you will get it right before you explode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you are so right, but I did explode when I tried to learn the "right way" (not totally sure there even is a right way). This new style I like to knit, but the result requires some tweaking.

      Delete
  2. How interesting, I am looking forward to learning to knit with two colors. In the mean time, I will be saving this post to refer back to it.

    I started a cowl immediately after learning to knit in the fall. It's still sitting in the living room waiting to be finished and it's going to be spring this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens that things don't finish. I also have a cowl I started to knit around November. I have not been inspired by it anymore. maybe I will finish it by next fall :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...