Friday 15 March 2013

May contain horse meat

Have you all heard of the food scandal we have been having all over Europe? From some processed foods was found horse meat, the biggest thing in the whole scandal is that horse meat was not listed as one of the ingredients. For me or for most Finns horse meat is not a tabu of anykind so eating horse is fine, but of course it is alarming that food manufacturers do not know what meat or other ingredients they have in their foods.

I have eaten horse meat as cold cuts on a bread many times. I cannot say it's a reqular part of my diet, but maybe once a year we buy one packet of those cold cuts. Those are sold in the regular store. But I have never seen ground horse meat. Maybe now because of the scandal and all the attention to horse meat A found ground horse meat from a convenience store. He bought it just out of curiosity.


From the ground horse meat we made Greek style meat dish with hummus and oven potatoes. I tried to find a recipe for you, but I cannot find one from the web. Also I'm too lazy to write the complete recipe for you, but just fry good amount of onion and huge amount of garlic with the meat, then add handful of coriander and juice of a lemon. Add spices to taste like curcuma, cumin, ground bell pepper, soy sayce and ofcourse some ketchup for colour.

Our dish had lots of spices so I cannot say we could so easily taste what the horse tasted like, but it seemed to taste quite similar to beef, perhaps the texture was bit more hard, but it's difficult to say. Anyway the dish was good.

6 comments:

  1. I have eaten horse sausage and liked it. We had some horse meat scandal of our own here as well, they found horse meat in the köttbullar at IKEA. Not sure where else...Have a great weekend Leena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also here Ikea removed some amount of köttbullar from their stores. I'm not sure if those are back now with tested ingredients. Some kebab meat was removed from the market and lasagna and different types of processed food.

      Delete
  2. Interesting that you tried it. I've not come across any horsemeat that I know of--it is used mostly for dog food here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no trouble eating herbivores, those should be safe to eat. Sometimes I feel that the best meat is given to dogs, like cow tails.

      Delete
  3. I find this whole horse meat scandal so interesting. I just don't see why it's such a big deal. Mice Meat? Cricket Meat? Umm, yes, may be an issue for me. But horse meat? I've never knowingly eaten it or gone out of my way to find it at the store (is it even available in the States..probably not the way people are reacting to the whole thing...)- but don't see the big deal either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don't think the meat itself is the issue, but the fact that nobody knew there was horse meat. If it would have been listed as one of the ingredients I think everything would have been fine, at least here, don't know about other countries.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...